4.3 / 5
Novice to not so novice
I have only dealt with cheaper domains with regards to help service and they where brilliant.
NOt sure what you would call the site I have built. I do not sell on it. I just adevetise my services and show my location and cridentials on it.
Some of the interfa.ce was confusing especialy to start with.
OnceI found a template that worked for me (I tried a few) I found it easier.
I talked to a couple of people and was told to go with someone based in Australia like weebly and compaired to an overseas based place. Cheaper domains told me that would be better as google would be faster for me in australia if I bought and built in Australia.
I wish I understood the pricing better.
- easy to drag and drop from the menu once you know what you are doing.
- I got the free web builder first, then upgraded to a $84 site so I did not have to rush building it. Once I realised what extra featchers I needed I decided to upgrade again. The plan I wanted was a $120 plan. YOu would thing that the $84 would come off the $120 BUT NO. I had to buy the upgrade from weebly so I had to pay in ful. The $84 plan was from cheaper Domains who I bought my website name from. This was a confusong process.
Weebly - still my chosen platform
I tried Weebly, Wix, Fouresquare and Yola, as well as some of the platforms available in South Africa. Weebly was the easiest to master and the most cost effective in the end. I also liked the fact that you can register 10 free websites with them, as well as the website copy feature, as it allowed me to try out different looks, formats, templates, colours, without losing my original product.
The customer support is difficult, most probably because we are awake when they are asleep and vice versa. It does take ages to actually get an email with a request to them, as they keep on referring you to existing Q&A articles – that I found extremely annoying and time-consuming – their response though is fairly quick and useful when you do get an email through.
I think their website templates are more limited if compared to Wix, but they are more cost effective – especially taking our currencies exchange rate into consideration.
I really, really like their education site – use it with my learners all the time.
- Easy to use
- Lots of supporting videos
- Cost is comparative - not the cheapest
- Difficult to get support
- Limited templates
- Their pricing structure also shot up
Weebly for people outside America
It’s very easy to use and I really liked the customizable features for designing so I didn’t feel like I was stuck in a template. The publishing feature is also very good in that changes are instantly reflected on the website itself and you don’t have to keep saving your work.
It’s not optimized for people living outside the Us. For an artist in Kenya I find that they don’t offer a trusted payment system so the site is useless as an online shop. And the own name email address is also an opt-in at a higher plan which was inconvenient as my emails were already working before I pointed my domain to Weebly. The SEO and Email marketing is also optional at a much higher and that can be too expensive for a starter business or artist.
Comment from Inka, WebsiteToolTester:
Thanks for your review! Weebly actually has several in-built features for SEO that are free – more information is available here if you’d like to check them out.
- Ease of use
- Customizable templates
- Online shop feature not worldwide
- Many necessary features at a prohibitive extra cost
Love Weebly for small business handmade items
I researched for months on which website builder to use and stumbled on websitetooltester.com while watching youtube videos. The information on this site was so extremely helpful! I have a small handmade business and don’t have a lot of time to spend learning how to set up a website, so I was apprehensive about how to get it done.
Right now I have it set up as a place for customers to see all that I have to offer and they can place an order through “contact forms.” However, in the future, I plan to turn it into a store with carts and check out and with Weebly I have the ability to do this. Here is a link to my site: http://www.homedecoratingwiththekingjamesbible.com/
Thank you websitetooltester.com for all your help and answering my personal questions so quickly through email before I made the plunge to set up my first website!
- super easy to use
- great price for small business owners
We’ve used Weebly to build an e-Commerce online clothing store. Though the process was pretty painless, there needs to be a better way to upload and input large swathes of Data with less fuss and time consuming editing, taking into consideration that most people using a web builder are not IT experts!
We also have two unresolved issues with two options we desperately require on our site that should be available as standard on any website:
1. A facility to have customers “Click a box” that confirms they have seen and accept our Terms & Conditions of Sales etc.
2. A Payment Option that allows us to invoice and supply a customer with banking details to either EFT or deposit directly into our account (there are still and unbelievable amount of people that don’t have Credit Cards and PayPal). This is a massive issue for us, had we been aware of this limitation, we would have chosen a different Web Builder that could offer this to us.
- Great Templates and designs
- Easy to learn, navigate and use
- Great support, prompt, helpful and friendly
- Terms & Conditions checkout confirmation
- Changing layout and fonts limited
- Limited offline payment options
- Support not always available
Works even for people who are not into digital
I build a website for holiday rentals. With no experience at all and a profound dislike for anything digital I choose Weebly based on the reviews from WebsiteToolTester. After some playing around and looking at the tutorials you quickly find yourself confidently changing layouts, designs, backgrounds, etc.
It is not very flexible, that’s both a PRO and a CON, it definitely helps to ensure that your website stays clean and legible.
The support tool is very adequate, even though you can’t speak to someone. Not even if you are willing to pay!! After starting up with a free domain name I bought at Weebly, I had issues with Google and Microsoft as their search engines judges my site un-safe. After some correspondence with them that was corrected. The fact that in the beginning search engines gives a non-secure link warning to visitors because it lacks the ‘s’ in https is unacceptable!
The SEO function is relatively weak, as is the support function in that area.
Josep’s comment from WebsiteToolTester
Weebly reserves the https for the Business plan. However, we believe that Weebly’s SEO is pretty good. For more information and a (SEO) comparison with other providers, please check this article.
- Simplicity of use
- Good tutorials
- It's not a secure link website; SEO
Clearwater Beach Condo Rental website
Easy to build through Weebly and support is decent. My site was designed to advertise my vacation condo in Clearwater Beach Florida and the site looks nice. Editing is simple but after 3 months, I have not received a single inquiry and my site seems difficult to find in search engines. So far, disappointed with anticipated results.
- Ease of use, design, price
- Weak exposure, lack of SEO enrichment
Video Background Limitations
There are some nice new responsive themes but all the old ones seem to be gone. The new ones look pretty much like each other so not much variety. I used the video background on a new site which looks great on the desktop but friends reported it couldn’t be viewed on ipads and android phones etc. It would be good to be able to have an alternate static image for times when the video won’t play. All in all it’s a very easy web builder to use and I’ve done 3 sites in it this week for clients who may want to do their own updates down the track.
Comment from Josep, WebsiteTooltester:
Old themes can be accessed from the theme selection page, you just need to click on “Show Old Themes”.
Comment from Weebly’s support about background videos:
“Our video headers are not designed to display as video on mobile sites. They will display on your live desktop site, but will not animate when accessed from a mobile device.”
- New responsive themes
- Clients can update themselves easily
- Lack of variety in themes - all looked similar
- Limitations of the video background feature
Great for amateurs and small start ups
I built a website for my counseling business. I have had experience with WordPress and found Weebly easier to use. Building was easy and the basic layouts and design pages were user friendly. I purchased my domain from them also which was handy, one less company to deal with. Prices were reasonable which is handy for a small start up like mine. A more in depth tutorial would be nice but overall I would probably use Weebly again.
- Nice clean design options
- Price reasonable for small start up
- Neat and helpful home page
- Easy to use
- Blog page not easy to build
- No undo button when making a change to view options